Before using UNIKO for the first time it is advisable that the patient practises their breathing technique, because a correct breathing technique makes all the difference to the effectiveness of the therapy session. When seated, always aim for a relaxed position, without tension in the shoulders.
We recommend at least 2 sessions of 30 minutes each day and to increase the number of sessions as necessary and as recommended by the patient’s clinician. Medication by aerosol is recommended to be administered after 20 minutes of therapy. The merit of administering bronchodilators before use of UNIKO–TPEP® E therapy has not been found and it is preferable not to take them before exercise therapy.
Results will differ from patient to patient i.e. airway elasticity will improve faster in younger patients compared to older patients.
- Sit comfortably in a chair, which preferably has a back to it, in an upright position.
- Shoulders relaxed, not hunched up.
- Knees should be bent at a 90° angle, feet flat on the floor, which helps to avoid any muscle pull in the rib cage.
- The breathing should be slow and constant, using the diaphragm to achieve a deeper exhalation technique. This technique may be changed as appropriate for the patient’s condition.
- Use the nose clip to avoid leakages.
- The mouth should be closed over the mouth-piece to avoid leakages.
- The technique involves a relaxed tidal breath on inspiration with a slightly longer expiration.
- If it is felt necessary to cough to clear secretions which have collected in the upper airways, stop treatment for the amount of time necessary to expectorate and then resume therapy. Not all patients need to cough during the exercise; the need to remove secretions can happen during the hour following treatment, depending on the patient’s condition.
- When breathing out aim to maintain the effort indicator in the central area (the smiling face) during the expiration phase, for as long as it is comfortable.